Friday, July 27, 2012

Kitty Pride

This past week I've been busy with more of that editing I'd mentioned, which is still not interesting to write about. Today I got to do something I've never done before on the movie, even though it's had to happen several times. And I hope I never have to do it again on the movie. Come, share in my pain, won't you? According to Sybok I might even grow stronger in the sharing.

Costumes are made of fabric. Simple, right? Well apparently you have to go out and pick out all those fabrics before they can be costumes. I've been perfectly content to stand back and let Sean handle all the costuming stuff. He'll share a drawing with me and I'll either be like, "Cool, that's fine," or occasionally find one little thing I dislike about it and be a prick until he makes the alteration.
"Don't get me wrong, I think this works OKAY... But maybe we make it a dude? Sleep on it..."
In addition to the design work, he's been the one to coordinate with our various costume ladies. Which means he's been the one to accompany them to all the various hobby stores to pick out and purchase fabrics. Usually it's been done when I'm out of town, so I couldn't go even if I wanted to. But I didn't manage to escape this trip unscathed, and ended up heading out with him and Kitty this afternoon. We left at 3:30 and didn't get back until about 10:00. It was... a day of things, I tell you what.

We started by swinging over to Kitty's to pick her up. She invited us in for a moment, to show us the progress on the costume for Boq. She also handed over the dress for the Wicked Witch of the East. Which I had not seen in person until that moment. I found the end result VERY satisfying.
And the whole, "bag off the left shoulder" style very tasteful.
Then we headed into Fredericksburg to paint the town red with the blood of our slain excitement. We started with  a big chain store, [A STORE]. [A STORE] often has pretty great deals, according to Sean and Kitty. If you're looking for fabrics, you should hit [A STORE] sometime.
They have many great fabrics available from [A BRAND].
The hours passed slowly, Sean and Kitty wandering around the store and discussing different fabric options, going back to Sean's sketches every so often to see how they might fit together. Sean found this blue fabric with a gold pattern that he really liked for Boq's wife, and that was the first thing we settled on. A trip to a second store yielded another blue material that went well with it.
"So we don't want any of this to be see-through, right?"
But then nothing went well with the two of them. We ended up having to hit a third store to find a the third fabric, and even then we had to alter our intentions for the dress so we could combine the third material with another and get it all to work really nicely. Some patterned ribbon for the cuffs and hem and we had our dress. We actually were after fabrics for two different dresses. One of them proved to be no sweat, but Boq's wife nearly killed us.

Which gives me a neat idea for the sequel...

2 comments: